CultivatR is founded on a belief in the importance of connecting with our food, and that means connecting with our farmers.
We’re proud of our carefully selected farmers and are excited to introduce Farmer Friday, a new spotlight featuring the hardworking Albertans producing your favourite meats, produce, poultry, cheeses, and more! We’d like to start by introducing Gemstone Grass Fed Beef, farmed by the Doerksen family.
Farming with the Doerksen’s
Farming is certainly a family affair for the Doerksen’s, the 4th generation farming and ranching family situated in Gem, Alberta. Their vision is simple: to supply a trusted source of high-quality grass-fed beef to Albertans. Using the principals of regenerative farming, Gemstone Grass Fed Beef aims to improve the health of their land, cattle and the families they feed.
Why Grass Fed?
Believe it or not, it’s so much better for you AND the cattle. Choosing grass-fed is important because nowadays most cattle are fed grain, which can lower the cow’s immune system by lowering the pH of its digestive system. Grain also lessens the nutritional value of the beef and fat by changing its chemical makeup. Gemstone cows enjoy a nutritional mix of green hay and silage, which is free from added hormones and antibiotics.
We love how the Doerksen’s truly live and farm with their mission statement at the forefront of their mind: Good for our animals. Good for our environment. Good for our customers.
We hope you enjoy their beef as much as we do! If you’re having a date night in, consider this recipe, created by our Chef…
Bone Marrow with Chimichurri
- 4 Marrow Bones Split Lengthways
- Micro Arugula
- Zest of ½ an Orange
- 1 Tbsp Orange Juice
- ½ Bunch Coriander Roughly Chopped
- ½ Bunch Parsley Roughly Chopped
- 2 Green Onions Chopped
- 1 Tbsp Sherry Vinegar
- 1 Jalapeno Stemmed and Seeded
- ½ Tsp Cumin
- ¼ Cup Olive Oil
- ¼ Cup Vegetable Oil
- Add all ingredients except oil to a food processor and run until finely chopped. With motor running slowly add oils.
- Preheat oven to 375. Place Marrow bones on a sheet tray and roast for about 15 minutes until the marrow has softened.
- Set oven to broil and toast until marrow is golden, about two minutes.
- Top with chimichurri and micro arugula.