Chickpeas are packed with amazing nutrients like choline, fibre, protein and slow-digesting starch. They contribute to regulating blood sugar and cholesterol levels, strengthening bones, improving mental health and digestion! And here's a bonus - they are incredibly delicious too!
One of our favourite ways to enjoy chickpeas is roasting them. It's easy to make and store. They make a satisfying (could also be addictive) snack and salad topper.
Perfectly crispy roasted chickpeas are easier said than done. This recipe will guarantee flavourful and crispy roasted chickpeas that you won't stop munching. Plus they are vegan, gluten-free and dairy-free!
This recipe yields about 8 servings.
- 435 g chickpeas
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Soak the chickpeas overnight in a big enough container for them to double. Be sure to cover all beans with water.
- Next day, drain the beans and dry them thoroughly with kitchen towels or paper towels.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Lightly spray a baking sheet with cooking spray or lightly brush olive oil onto the baking sheet. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together cumin, paprika, coriander, garlic powder, sea salt, onion powder and pepper. Set aside.
- Bake dried chickpeas on the prepared baking sheet for 15 minutes WITHOUT the seasonings yet!
- Take the chickpeas out from the oven and drizzle 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil and stir gently. If necessary, slowly drizzle more olive oil until all beans are lightly coated with oil.
- Add seasonings to the beans and stir until evenly coated.
- Bake at 400°F for 10 more minutes, then stir. Make sure all beans are laid flat after stirring to make sure they get toasted evenly.
- Return stirred chickpeas to the oven and bake them for an additional 5-10 minutes until desired crispiness is achieved.
- Turn off oven and crack the door a bit. Let chickpeas cool in the oven to achieve maximum crispiness
Now you've got golden crispy chickpeas to enjoy for days! For storage, wait until they are completely cooled down, put them in your preferred storage jars or bags.