We've all been stuck in a side dish rut at some point. It can be challenging to always come up with creative ways to put side dishes that are both delicious and healthy on the table. But Refried Beans never disappoints. It's seriously delicious, versatile and so easy to make!
We use pinto beans to make this healthy, smooth and delectable dish that can be served as a side, dip for any type of chips (must try with tortilla chips), and spread on your bread.
Pinto beans are loaded with nutrients like vitamins, fibre and antioxidants and are known to help improve blood sugar concerns and heart health.
Let's get started with the ingredients!
- 2 1/2 cups pinto beans (dry)
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups chicken broth (can be substituted with vegetable broth)
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup lard or bacon drippings (can be substituted with vegetable oil)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Place pinto beans in a heavy stockpot or Dutch oven in water to cover and bring to a boil. Reduce to low heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 1 hour. Drain beans. Alternatively, the beans can also be soaked in tap cold water overnight in a covered pot.
- Return beans to the pot. Add onion, chicken broth and water. Bring to a boil covered, reduce heat, and simmer for about 2 hours, or until beans are tender.
- Melt lard or bacon drippings (or vegetable oil) in a large skillet. Add cooked pinto beans with the liquid, minced garlic, and salt to the mix. Mash with a potato masher or fork as the beans heat. Turn to medium heat, stir often, and cook the refried beans, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes until desired consistency is reached.
Now we have it! We highly recommend enjoying it with our fan-favourite tortilla chips.